Friday, August 31, 2012

Glue

It's been a while since my last post but I'm back in water rocketry again.

I'm planning to build some drop away boosters for the last rocket I made. I want to build the boosters out of spliced pairs so I needed to find a strong glue that will stick to pet. There's a glue called PL Premium that's often used for splicing but unfortunately it's not available here in Holland. I've looked in several stores for other PU glues (PL Premium is also a PU glue) with the same specifications as PL Premium but didn't find a match. So I just bought a glue named "Tangit M400" a PU glue that looked promising to me. I made a asymmetric splice out of 2 coke bottles and the next day I did a hydro pressure test, unexpectedly it held up to 100 psi and there was no sign of any leaks, I could not test at higher pressures because I'm still stuck with the old bicycle pump, I'll probably get a new one soon so I can do a real burst test on the splice
.

The test splice, next time I'll use a little less glue.



For the drop away booster system there need to be tubes at the sustainer and pins at the boosters. I tested 3 glues to attach tubes to a pet bottle; Tangit M400, Pattex PL600 and Pattex Power Fix. The PL600 is also a PU glue and the Power Fix is a polymer based glue.


The 3 tubes glued to a bottle. from left to right: Tangit M400, Pattex PL600 and Pattex Power Fix.

The wires you see in the picture were used to attach a luggage scale with a bucket underneath, when testing the bucket was slowly filled with water to increase the force on the tubes.

the test setup. not pretty but it works.
At first i tested the Power Fix glue, it held up to ~6 kg.
The PL600 gave up at ~7 kg.
With the Tangit M400 I filled the whole bucket with water and it was still holding, I pulled the bucket down until the scale was at 14 kg but still no sign of the tube coming loose, I removed the bucket and and hung a loop of rope to the hook of the scale and placed my foot in the loop, at 27 kg the rope broke!

Pattex Power Fix: 6 kg
Pattex PL600: 7 kg
Tangit M400: 27 kg
  















The pictures above are coming from a video I made during the test, they all are the last frame before the tubes came loose or the rope broke.

I still don't know how much it would hold but I'm pretty sure the M400 glue is strong enough both for splicing and for the tubes and pins of the boosters...

No comments:

Post a Comment